Skip to main content

Austin Powers Meets the 139th Psalm

     Do you ever fight about the fight?  That is a phrase Matt and I learned in a book we bought before we were married.  For instance, you and your significant other have a simple disagreement about dinner when the disagreement ignites a knock-down, drag-out, guns-a'blazing battle.  Ever been there?  Matt and I never have, of course...(ahem)...


     Alright, it might have happened once.  On the night in question, I might have thrown a shoe.  Alright, I threw a shoe.
If you do not get the reference, please visit the following link immediately! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D5oKEVqQJg
     
     It was not a fun night, but it was the first time I came to the monumental realization that my place of security had moved right out from under me, and worse, I had done the moving.  There I was, furious, ready to storm away--I grabbed my keys and the shoe I didn't throw, and I made my way to the door.  It hit me in that moment that there was nowhere to run.  As I mentally reviewed my plan to drive home, I was flabbergasted to discover I was home.  He was home.  We were not married yet, but my heart was his completely.  It didn't make sense to go anywhere else.  We made up, and I don't believe I have thrown a shoe since...a scrub brush, maybe, but no more shoes.  : )  
     The past few months have brought great loss, not only for our family, but for others.  I have cried out to the Lord in anger, frustration, confusion, grief, and sadness.  In the middle of all my crying out, though, is the knowledge of where my home is.  My God is big enough to take the hurt, the anger, and the shoes I launch at Him.  Sometimes it feels He is calling me to trust His purpose and His ability and His timing.  Asking me to remember this world is not my home.  Asking me to have just mustard seed-sized faith, even when I cannot see a single, decent reason for the circumstances people face.  Asking me not to run away, but instead to draw nearer and nearer to the One who holds my heart completely. 
     


Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
If I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, 
   if I settle on the far side of the sea, 
 even there your hand will guide me, 
   your right hand will hold me fast. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac