Skip to main content

A Sunday Funday in Review

Sunday, March 11, 2012

     My day began a little like this: I rolled out of bed angry at the hour of sleep I lost even though I never fall asleep when I should anyway.  I stared at the clothes in my closet like it was my first time getting dressed. Do you ever have days where getting dressed feels like a complete enigma?  I just kept staring while my brain put forth a valiant effort to come to the party.  I finally put together an outfit and slipped on my brand new shoes—THE shoes I found on yesterday’s shopping extravaganza that actually fit my feet (this never happens).  I grabbed my Coke Zero from the fridge and made my little car fly to the north side. 

     At church, I went through the usual routine of getting all the kids checked in and trying to remember multiple things at once (thank God for pens and spare church bulletins).  At some point, I decided it would be a good idea to carry four boxes in front of my face while trying to open two sets of doors…in my new shoes.  My ankle gave out, and I went down (impressively keeping all boxes upright) in front of approximately eight church leaders and one sweet lady who had previously offered to get the door for me.  I righted myself quickly.  My pride, on the other hand, remained on the floor.

     Two hours later, things were hectic, and the baptism I was supposed to see had come and gone unbeknownst to me.  The little girl being baptized had asked me to be there, and I was so excited that I wasn’t teaching this week and would be able to see it.  I felt horrible when I made it into church and realized I had missed it. 

     From there, I stressed my way through another couple hours and a Firehouse sub sandwich, trying to make absolutely certain I had everything I needed and wasn’t forgetting any supplies for the night and oh my gosh, we have to hurry, and just who was it that asked me for the few remaining Veggie Tales Live tickets before I could write it down!?
 
     Then Matt told me to breathe.  Every Children’s Ministry Lauren should have a Matt to go with her, I’m telling you!
 
     Later that afternoon, I met with Hailey, a girl I am going to sing a special with next month.  We spent the next hour singing a capella in a little room.  She’s the same age I was when people started pushing me to sing solos; she has the same love for it and the same accompanying nerves.  She also detests peanut butter, adores babies, and watches Glee.  Let’s just say she’s a girl after my own heart.  As her voice rose with mine for the first time in that little room, the thousand things on my mind fell away. 

     At 5:00, we joined the crowd for dinner, which, like it is every week, was lovingly prepared and served to us by volunteers.  I stopped worrying if the Angry Birds slingshot would work tonight and just enjoyed the meal.  Alex, the little girl who had been baptized that morning, plopped down beside me.  I hugged her and told her I was very proud of her.  Then she looked at me and said, “When I get older, I want to do what you do.”  My heart fell in a puddle to the floor where my pride had been just that morning.  When I think about her impossibly sweet heart and realize I have the honor of playing even a small part in her life, I am truly grateful.    

     After dinner, we kicked things off with an extra big group of kids.  Matt, Jim, Clay, and Chrissy got all the boxes and balls set up in the gym while Rose, Jenny, Sabrina, and I held down the fort in the children’s area.  The bouncy balls I’d decorated to look like Angry Birds didn’t work in the slingshot, but the smaller ones from Dollar Tree that I hadn’t returned yet—they were perfect.  Because of the big group, we added an extra rotation, and the sponsors kept things rolling so I was able to take pictures of my little Angry Birds conquering the pigs.  Never underestimate the power of improvisation and a great team.  The kids loved it as much as I hoped they would, making this a banner night! 


     When I think back on this day, I won’t focus on scrambling around like a madwoman this morning, the hour of sleep I lost, the fact that I missed a baptism I was supposed to see, or the moment I fell in front of all the communion servers…alright, I might remember that.   

       I will, however, think of the friends who I counted on and confided in without hesitation; the bear hugs I received from the kids at the check-in station; the sweet sound of a voice in an echoing Sunday School room; and the way the children jumped and cheered for each other every single time one of them knocked over a pig with that sling.  The uncertainty over my future, the fear, the worry, the insecurity--it all falls away in the beauty of those moments.  I will think of those things and know that if Alex gets to do what I do when she grows up, she will be one very blessed girl.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac