Skip to main content

The Best is Yet to Come-A Note From a Former Senior

     As I sit at my recently-fixed computer, staring out at the sunny day I'm missing, I'm thinking about graduation.  In two short days, my baby brother will leave the halls of high school behind forever.  .

     I recently read this on his facebook page:
"Ben McClure hates when people talk about going from high school into the "real world."  So the problems and struggles of the past 4 years weren't real?  And everything from here on out is downhill?  How can you possibly go through life thinking that the good part is over?  High school was great, but it's time to move on to bigger and better things."

     What was I, the artist formerly known as Lauren McClure, up to in May of 2005?  I had really great friends; I had some perfect rounds as the captain of the Spell Bowl team; I nabbed a senior favorite spot for "Most School Spirit;"  I was elected Class Secretary (which meant a white robe at graduation) and Student Council Historian; I was coming into my own with singing and writing; and my friend Jess had recently introduced me to the beauty of the flatiron.

I had the following dream schedule:
1-Library Worker
2-College U.S. History (with Dad)
3-AP English (my best subject)
4-Lunch (Yum)
5-Biblical Literature (with Dad)
6-Government/Economics (with Dad)
7-Show Choir
8-Choir Office

     I had my favorite teacher three times a day, freedom during 1st and 8th period, an outlet for creative writing with a teacher who believed I could do anything, freedom from Physics, College Trigonometry and Pre-Calculus (got those out of the way my junior year), and an hour of song and dance.  

     In a journal entry written 5 and 1/2 (I was specific!) days before my graduation, I reflected on my senior year.  The highlight was starring as Sabrina in our school's production of Sabrina Fair.  The theater felt more like home to me than any room in that building. 



      In addition to detailing my emotions during that final bow, I discuss the show choir's Spring Spectacular and seeing New York City again.  I was most decidedly still in love with it.  I reminisced about my favorite prom moment, when the seniors made a circle and sang Vitamin C's "Graduation."    In retrospect, it sounds cheesy, but it was a big moment.
    


     My senior year was far and away my best year of high school, but it was far from the best year of my life.

     Could someone give a girl a hand as I step onto this soapbox?

     Seven years ago this week, I sang at my own commencement (in my white robe with my honor sash), received my high school diploma, and heard the ever-present, collective voice of downers say, "Welcome to the real world."

     Had I unknowingly auditioned for MTV?  Had I missed something?  The world I'd been living in for four years seemed real enough to me--I'd walked through heartbreak, betrayal, depression so debilitating I could barely function, and watched one of my oldest and closest friends fight for her life after a car accident--all while dealing with the pressure of having everything to prove.  

     A line in that cheesy Vitamin C song says, "We talked all night about the rest of our lives, where we're gonna be when we turn twenty-five."  Well, here I am, very much twenty-five, with good news.  I do not subscribe to the belief that the best years of my life were behind me at eighteen years old.  There is such freedom in being an adult.  Yes, I am saddled with bills and responsibilities that I didn't have seven years ago, but you will never hear me long for the glory days of youth.  High school should be enjoyed to the fullest while you are there and gracefully left behind once you go.  I miss having all my friends in one place,  the basketball games, hearing my dad's stories, and eating lunch for $1.75.  I miss the feeling of being under the stage lights, and I really wish I would have known how skinny I was in time to enjoy it, but I wouldn't go back.


     There is peace that comes with some distance from high school.  Each year, I hope to become a little more comfortable with who I am.  I have learned, with help from my mama, that it's alright for dreams to change.  It's alright that the $40,000 scholarship to U.E. still wasn't enough.  They lost me at communal bathrooms, anyway.  It's alright that I'm not a writer at a magazine in Manhattan by day and Broadway baby by night.  I write at home and live vicariously through the characters on Smash.  I've also learned to enjoy the present while looking forward to what lies ahead.  The last seven years saw me receive my college degree, take trips with my friends, marry my soul mate, touch Sir Elton John's hand, find strength I never knew I had, figure out a little more of God's plan for me, and develop brand new dreams while still holding onto some of my old ones. 

      So, Seniors of 2012, from me in the "real world" to you in the...fake world, please know that it is tough out here, but you will do just fine because it's tough in there, too.    

     

"Keep on thinking it's a time to fly."






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac