Skip to main content

To the Ones who Love Me Through-A Letter of Thanks

     I haven't written lately because sometimes the tough stuff is too overwhelming to put to paper.  What I have felt like writing about, time and again, are the wonderful people I am blessed to call friends.  If you are one of those wonderful people, I hope you find yourself in one of these paragraphs.  

     To My Old Friends,

"Oh, the comfort, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person, having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all out, just as they are, chaff and grain together, certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and with a breath of kindness blow the rest away." George Eliot
     
     Matt and I have both been blessed by enduring friendships with incredible people. You are the friends I call family. Like my family, you are the ones who know the full contents of my heart and love me in spite of myself. There is such freedom in that. You hold my past, my heartbreaks, my failures, and my deepest secrets, but you are good enough not to use them against me. Life has taken us a thousand different directions, but you are still the people who show up when everything falls apart--or when everything falls together. You are still the ones I count on to remember the inside jokes, decipher what I'm trying to tell you in over-the-phone sobbing, rush to my apartment when I have a mess too big to handle, cheer me up on a Monday night dinner date, hear my unfiltered thoughts, and stand beside me on my greatest and hardest days no matter how much time has passed since we last saw each other. Whether it's been days, weeks, or months, know you are always on my mind and in my heart. I love you all...and, just for the record, I was serious about the commune idea. Let's get rich and do it! Please?

     To My New Friends,

      You are the ones I never thought I'd find. In a scenario similar to an elusive quest for Mr. Right, by the time I found you, I was fairly convinced you did not exist. Thank you ever so much for proving me wrong and being worth the wait! Thank you for breezing into my life and making it more fun and so much richer than I could have imagined. You have supported me, believed in me, defended me, taught me, encouraged me, and loved me through my mistakes. Every time I have doubted myself, you have shown up to argue with me. Your uncanny abilities to know the exact second I need a text message, a hug, a prayer out of the blue, a pizza, a belly laugh, a pedicure, a baby to hold, a movie date with lots of popcorn, or a long drive just to be there during our hardest hour--these things never stop amazing me. In the little things and the big things, you have made all the difference. I have no doubt that ten years down the line, I'll be bumping you to the old friends column! I'm forever grateful that God brought you to me for such a time as this.
 
     To My Better Half,
     
     When you left Indiana State with your B.S. in Criminology or made it through twenty-seven weeks of the ISP Academy, or started working the mean streets of this state, did you ever picture this? Did you know you'd become an expert driver of church vans with kids yelling for fruit snacks and kissing their shoes during a game of truth or dare? Did you have any idea you would spend entire days at theme parks with at least half a dozen kids hanging on you at once? Did you know that on your vacations, you would still get up and head to church at 8:00 to help everywhere from the nursery to check-in to technical support to elementary children's church? In fairness, I did warn you. "No one enters ministry alone," I said. "Be sure you want this too," I said. "It will make me even crazier and more insecure...and YOU'LL have to live with me," I said.

     And here we are.

     You have plunged into this world with me because of my dream and my calling, only to find you are the expert kid jungle gym, laptop fixer, situation smoother, and preschool charmer. Somehow, in the midst of all that, you find time to arrest bad guys and keep me sane.

I don't know how many times a girl can say the words, "I could never do this without you," but baby, I could never, ever do this without you! For each reassurance that it will indeed be okay, for each time you have to talk the panic out of me, for each field trip, for each Sunday, for helping me face my most terrible fears even as you walk through grief yourself, for every single time you show me grace when I've taken something out on you, for laughing with me every day, for being ever ready to defend me but wise enough to know when to show self-control, for never allowing me to take myself too seriously, for being my absolute best friend and partner in crime, I could not possibly thank you enough. You hold my whole heart forever and always! Even if I could find someone else to put up with my antics, there is no one else I would choose to walk with through this crazy life. I choo-choo-choose you, handsome!
     



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac