Skip to main content

Resting in the Shadow



Why does a girl with O.C.D., pale skin, a hearty disdain for getting water up her nose, and issues with all things slimy love, love, love the beach?  This question has occurred to me, said girl, many times as I trudged out to the Gulf of Mexico through perfect, sugary sand.  I don't seem to care about the germs or the fact that I always eat a wave for breakfast at least once a day or that icky things are all around me or that a jellyfish might sting me if I forget to shuffle.  My answer is always the same--The beach is just bigger than all of that.  I look to the horizon as far out as I can see, and the brand new waves breaking every second, and the perfect sun in the sky, and I remember God is bigger.  Perhaps it is the sinking-in of this knowledge that completely transforms me each time I set foot on that shore.

It wouldn't be me playing the lead in this story if I'd left my worries in Sweet Home Indiana.  I did not.  I brought my fears and my sadness.  I spent time crying as I think about facing my scariest Goliath yet--losing the person who understands me better than anyone else ever will.  Losing my hero.  Losing my Papaw.  I cried over the memories that flooded my mind every moment.  I cried in the ocean as I looked up to the balcony.  I cried over a voicemail I have saved from my birthday four years ago..."You'll always be Papaw's girl.  Always."  I cried over microwave pancakes!  I am crying now.  I'm terrified and terribly sad, but I have found peace because my God is bigger.  Papaw's God is bigger.

When Matt and I took our first trip together, to Pensacola with a few of our best friends, I told him to watch for a change in me as we crossed the state line into Florida.  He summed it up by pointing out I was still me, just a happier, more relaxed version.  If Matt could bottle Florida, I'm fairly certain he would inject it into my Coke Zero on a daily basis.  On this particular trip, while teasing me for sleeping the full ten hours here, he surmised it was the first time in a good two months that stress wasn't eating me alive.  My mornings here are different.  I wake up refreshed from nightmare-free sleep (a feat I can't ever accomplish at home).  I feel rested, more carefree, unencumbered.  This place restores my soul. 

Last night, after we played games, Ben suggested a 2:00-in-the-morning beach excursion.  Under the light of a bright, almost-full moon, we kicked off our flip flops and laughed as Ben and Matt pilfered the forgotten sand tools of some unknowing toddler and set off with flashlights to dig for hermit crabs.  The realization hit me again as I stared up at that huge moon and laughed with my family: He is bigger.  The one who spoke all this into existence is holding me in His hand.  He cares enough about me to see me through this and to give me time.  He is covering me, sheltering me, healing me, teaching me.  He is giving me perspective, teaching me to dance in the rain...teaching me not to let the sadness and the fear steal precious memories.

 I used to believe when tragedy struck it should define my entire life.  I had a need to let everyone know that terrible things had happened.  I believed I shouldn't permit myself to be happy because it would be a disservice to the sadness of what was occurring.  Now I understand things to be quite the opposite.  I carry the sadness around, as Matt perfectly put it, like a dull ache.  We didn't forget John on Sunday as we celebrated Matt's first birthday without him here.  We felt that hole like a dull ache, and we shed a few tears, but we still celebrated Matt.  My family now feels the fear of Papaw's cancer.  The sadness sits like a heavy weight pressing on my chest at all times.  It never, ever, ever leaves me.  But I am thankful I didn't miss out on the New York Strip from McGuire's, or walking into the ocean holding my daddy's hand, or the baby crab the boys found underground...it actually winked at me!  I have witnesses!  This is the first time my family has had a break, one fortifying week, and I am grateful we are able to be here for a short time, creating precious memories.  We have listened to our Father.  We have found a pocket of peace. 
We can feel the feathers.


Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”


He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

Psalm 91





Comments

Unknown said…
simply beautiful... thank you for sharing your heart

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac