Skip to main content

Willow Trees and Ramparts

     Today my dad helped Jack climb a tree for the first time in our backyard.

     When Matt decided he was set on this house being OUR house, I remember looking out at this yard and loving these weeping willows. Maybe it was my inner 90's girl calling to me with a scene from Pocahontas. I don't know. It took me a little longer, but I fell for the house, too. One day on my lunch break, I drove here, slipped through the unlocked gate, and knelt under this very tree to pray. I prayed that if this was the home we were meant to have, that our offer would be enough (it was, even after we decided to hold steady when someone came in with a counter offer), and that God would give us this home and children to fill it with. I pictured a couple of kids running around that yard, though at the time, we were still trying and failing to conceive, for no physical reason, which was breaking my heart. I also prayed His will above ours, knowing we would trust no matter what the outcome was.
     A month later we were moving in, aided by a small army of incredible friends. I remember my mom sitting in my book nook, looking out over my backyard, saying she could just picture her grandchild playing there. She could just see it. There was no child, though, not until two years later.
     Things are clearer in hindsight. Pain feels more dull than raw. Mourning turns into joy. But some of those painful memories serve to make me stop and breathe in what I have in this moment. I've never been good at living in the present, but having Jack gave me a crash course. When he was ten days old, I thought life was over, because how was he ten days old already?! I had done nothing but sit and stare at him all day every day, but time kept right on ticking. I learned to live in each moment because I was experiencing greater joy and greater fear than I'd ever known.
     I am thankful for the most ordinary moments of this life with him. Smelling dinner on the grill, seeing bubbles float over the fence, hearing Jack yell, "Sfing!" as he aims his club and takes a whack at a golf ball he's gingerly placed on a baseball tee...these are moments that make me pause and say thank you. This has been a really hard week in a lot of ways. Circumstances I'm not ready to deal with have fear trying to knock down the door of my mind with a battering ram. But when I see my little boy grinning at me through the branches of the weeping willow where I knelt and prayed for his very existence, I must stand in awe of God's faithfulness. Fear must take a back  seat in this place. For thirty years through darkness and fear and circumstances I couldn't control, He has been faithful. And that faithfulness will be my shield and rampart. (Psalm 91)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac