Skip to main content

Chain, Chain, Chains

"I could have done so many things, baby, if I could only stop my mind..."-"Wasted Time", Eagles

Sometimes I wonder what I would be capable of if I could shut my mind off for even an hour.  Who would I be if I weren't listening to the litany of shortcomings, the barrage of my failings?  Who would I be apart from the incessant voice in my head questioning everything I do, critiquing every decision, berating me for every mistake, asking what if what if what if?  

Tonight our kids learned about Moses.  If you caught the first episode of The Bible on History, please join me in adopting your best Ramses yell, "Moooooses!"   I have serious concerns about why the Pharaoh sounded like a bullfrog, why Moses looked so crazed, if angels really have ninja moves,and a lot of other creative concerns, but that's another story...
Our kids learned about the scene with the burning bush, or, per our curriculum, an oscillating fan with red and orange crepe paper taped to it.  That story is one of my favorites in the bible because of the way it impacted my own call to ministry.  Reference My Story for the dirty deets.  Accepting that call felt like one of the bravest things I'd ever done, and I did it by realizing that God was enough.  End of story.  Lauren could be a children's pastor because her God was big enough to cover her and use her.  Grace in my weakness!  That became my battle cry!  

Fast forward two years later; I've lost a little of that battle cry somewhere along the way. Today I had the honor of hearing the sweetest letter one of my sponsors wrote to the church board just because she thought they should know what a great job I was doing and how much she loves me.  (I love her very much, too!)  It was one of the most encouraging things anyone has ever done for me.  I was wiping away happy tears in the board meeting!  Yet tonight, in my perfect chair by the perfect windows, listening to the rain pour down, tap-tapping away on the keys, I'm fighting the all-too familiar feeling that I am a failure. 
Old acronyms die hard.

Sometimes I like to forget that through my relationship with Jesus, I am granted not only eternal life but life abundant!  Abundant life doesn't look like this...this hot mess of a girl who insists on making it about what she brought to the table (or what she didn't).  He's bigger than the table!  I read a quote by Voltaire once, "The perfect is the enemy of the good."  It's that voice insisting if I'm not doing a perfect job, I shouldn't be doing it at all.  Of course, it goes against absolutely everything I know to be true.  In my own life, my favorite people to have around are the people who are genuine and don't pretend to have it all together.  Those are the people I build relationships with and confide in.  They know my weak spots and love me anyway, and vice versa.  They have no problem with the fact that their children's pastor is a human being.  I love them all the more for being a little bit messy, too.  The people who act like their lives are perfect and they don't make mistakes?  You can keep them.  

Flawed people...those are the ones He uses to build His kingdom.  The bible shows us this again and again.  He is forever picking us up and dusting us off and loving us through every mistake.  He's a God who gets His hands dirty.  He is always in the mess.  His power is made perfect in the mess!  

This is not a "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" faith.  It's about being humble, willing, and brave enough to trust the God who delights in working in weakness.  It's having the courage to keep trying even with the certainty I'll continue making mistakes in this ministry.  It's time to worry less about opinions and more about the Father's will.  I need to refocus my eyes on I AM and delight in the God who took my punishment, defeated death, and calls me His own.  Forgive me, Jesus, for ever making it about me.  For telling you what you can and can't do through me.  For listening to the butcher instead of my Shepherd.

 One of my favorite songs right now is "Redeemed" by Big Daddy Weave.  I love it for the lyrics that hit me like a ton of bricks every time I hear it: 

Bound up in shackles of all my failures
Wondering how long is this gonna last
Then You look at this prisoner and say to me,
"Son, stop fighting a fight; 
It's already been won"

My downfall comes when I forget that truth and count on myself to get it together and to punish myself when I fall short.  Jesus paid for my freedom; he paid for new life.  He never intended for me to stay in my shackles.  I'm called not to live as a prisoner, but as an adopted daughter of the Most High King.  

My fervent hope for anyone reading this is that you will never let the fear of failure or the mythical "shiny, happy Christian" who has it all together hold you back.  He will meet you wherever you are.  He will cast your sins as far as the east is from the west, into the sea of forgetfulness, to be remembered no more.  He will give you a new life.  He will break your strongholds.  He will make His power perfect in your weakness.  He will redeem you.  And He will never, ever turn His back on you.  

Here's the rest of the song: Redeemed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac