Skip to main content

Confessions of an Elder Brother

  
   


     My typical Sunday morning begins with waking up to a ringtone or three before sprinting across the room to turn off the mother of all alarm clocks before the horrific beeping begins.  If I don't make it across the room in time, I have to try to run with my arm over my head to cover my ears while trying to turn the blasted thing off.  I am convinced this device is evil incarnate, but by George, it gets me moving.  And that is not an easy thing to do at 7:00 in the morning.  I am just not a morning person.  Never have been.  After I turn off the alarm, I scramble to make myself look presentable.  I grab a banana and a Coke Zero (don't judge me) for breakfast, let Roo out, throw him a Pupcorn treat as I lock the door, and hurry to my car.  
     The majority of my morning involves teaching, fighting with the laptop or projector, trying to hold thoughts in my head until I can find the nearest notepad, checking kids in with our amazing new system, etc.  I am not teaching Sunday School this month, so I get to roll with the big kids.  I still miss a good twenty-five minutes of class while I check kids in and sneak a few doughnut holes, but I manage to hear a healthy portion of the lesson.  The portion that I heard a couple weeks ago had a big impact on me.
     Ryan told me he was really excited about the new material.  The series is based on a book called The Prodigal God by Timothy Keller.  I haven't read the book yet, but I intend to.  The parable of the prodigal son (found in Luke 15:11-32 ) is a story I have heard and read and studied a hundred times.  Most of us have, right?  Younger son steals the fortune, parties like it's 1999, turns himself into a hot mess, then comes crawling back home asking to work as a servant.  The father runs to meet him before giving him the royal treatment-robes, rings, and a feast of roast beast that was outrageously expensive.  The end.  


Informercial voice: "But wait, there's more!"


      Timothy Keller paints a much broader picture of what Jesus was trying to say.  Never, in all the times I've heard this taught or preached on, have I given a second thought to the elder brother.  He's just the responsible kid that gets the short end of the stick.  He's mad, and we get that.   If we think of it at all.
      Keller points out several things I had never thought about:
1. Jesus's audience was made up of tax collectors and do-no-gooder's on one side and Pharisees and V.I.P. guys on the other.  Younger brothers and elder brothers, respectively, if you will.  
2.It was the elder brother's duty to go and look for his younger brother-an obligation he completely neglects.
3.Because the younger brother had received his inheritance, everything the father had would be the elder brother's.  Any expenditures of the father came at a cost to the elder brother.
4. Wealthy men at that time would not have been caught dead committing the serious faux pas of running.  Not only did the father run out to meet the younger brother, he had to run out to the elder brother (in the middle of the lavish feast, no less).  The elder brother was in the field when he heard the big party, and he refused to enter the house.  The father ran out and pleaded with him to come in.  The elder brother refuses to even acknowledge that the man is his brother, instead calling him, "this son of yours." v.30


   The elder brother is upright and responsible.  The younger brother has made such a mess of his life that, at a particularly low point, he was jealous of pigs because they were eating better than he was.  Yet, Keller points out that the father has to run out to ask both of them to come home.  The elder brother is doing the right things for all the wrong reasons.  He cares nothing for his brother who has finally come home, and he certainly doesn't have the heart of his father in mind.  


     Keller suggests that, just as the tax collectors and Pharisees would have found themselves in this story, we also identify with either the younger or the elder brother.  There are so many challenges inherent in this; I couldn't begin to cover them all.  Throughout my life, I've definitely been more of an elder brother (or sister, I suppose).  I've grown in my desire to draw nearer to the heart of the Father, and I certainly know that it is by grace alone I have been saved.  But am I searching hard enough for my younger brothers? Are my motivations always to please the Father?  
     
      Our class agreed our churches are typically full of elder brothers.  Many of them, tragically, are perhaps more lost than the younger ones.  Their good works bring them no closer to the Father.  They are not concerned with pursuing younger brothers who, (if they walk into the church at all), are apt to take a look inside and walk right back out, knowing they don't fit the mould.  Elder brothers look put-together and attend church picnics.  They are responsible citizens.  They have their acts together.  But why?  Because they want to look good?  Because they want God to give them good things?  Because they think it will get them into Heaven?  


     Meanwhile, the Father is still running out, pleading, "Come home."   
 
   

Comments

Unknown said…
I have been studying this story in depth lately. These insights are super-helpful!!! Thank you!! I didn't know that it would have been his responsibility to seek out his younger brother... that's a really interesting point!

Something that has also occurred to me... the elder son had to ask a SERVANT what was going on. In his "going about the work" he had apparently lost all connection with the Father. To think, he had to ask a paid servant what the party was about!? When it comes to the Kingdom... I don't wanna be that guy, although I know I've had my moments!!! Just had to add to the conversation!

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac