Skip to main content

To the Snoring Granny From Her Dreaming Child



     I must apologize to my readers for the postponement of yesterday's Family Feature Friday.  I could not decide who to write about, but then I realized I had already started a Family Feature on my Granny back on her birthday with this: 


     "Happy Birthday to the lady who taught me how to be one!  She also taught me where to shop, how to find the best children's books, the wonder of petit fours, how to heal a broken heart, that getting my B.S. degree was NOT optional ("Education, education, education!"), the importance of always being kind and keeping it classy, and how to throw fabulous Christmas parties! Love you with all my heart, Granny."






    Though that sums things up rather well, I want to take an expanded look at my education.  Before I was born, Mom made plans for me to have a babysitter while she was working.  In the hospital on my birthday, however, Gran and Papaw announced that they would need to keep me instead.  I guess I was just that cute!  I kid.  I kid.  At the time, they were both running the business (funeral home and ambulance service).  It was during this time Gran began my education, education, education.  


At Gran's I didn't just do the dishes.  I did them in her high heels, silly!
     I know I was very young, but I have palpable memories of that time.  I remember specifically learning the inner workings of the business and the ways Gran taught me about life, people, and of course, say it with me, "education!"  Growing up in that environment was absolutely fascinating.  One might tend to think gallavanting round a funeral home might be rather depressing, but it was not at all.  It was always filled with interesting people and things to do.  I could write a book on the misadventures I had there.  Basically I was Eloise, and McClure Funeral Home was my Plaza Hotel!  Today, though, I want to focus on the lessons I learned from Gran.

     Since I received my Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education, I can say with some certainty that Gran gave me a proper preschool education.  It was very important to her that I had as  much of a head start as she could give me.  I was always appreciative of that, but never more so than when I began taking my education classes at U.S.I.  I remember calling Gran and saying, "They told us to do this, and you did this!  They told us to read this, and I own it because you bought it for me!"  
Our favorite book!
     Occurring in all my memories of days with Gran is reading.  We read every day, multiple times a day.  She bought me as many Caldecott and Newberry award winners as she could find.  If my mom would let me take them from her house (and she won't), I would have enough for a decent classroom library.  I remember going to school and having books assigned to read that Gran had bought me years before.  I was reading at the age of four, and I think that is largely because of the time Gran put into reading to me every day.  


    Fun Funeral Home Fact: My reading ability was discovered when I was in Papaw's office.  He was writing an obituary and was surprised to find I was reading it aloud to him! 

     
     Gran always did her homework and found the best book, toy, game, or puzzle.  Speaking of puzzles, we worked them every day as well.  We also frequently played Old Maid.  I always won, which I never found curious at the time.  


     From the business side of things, I learned a great deal about professionalism and working with people.  From unloading flowers to keeping records, to answering the phone, to telling the secretary that she did not need to feel compelled to take Lauren to Dodie's for lunch today even though Lauren had invited herself, she schooled me in professionalism.  Above all, she taught me (begged me?) to be a lady.  
     


Doing Granny's hair in the condo and flaunting my new Ariel wallet

     Learning to be a lady was a recurring theme in the School of Gran.  I have always loved to watch this woman in a crowd or at a party or (especially) throwing a party.  One of the big events on my social calendar as a child was the annual P.E.O. Christmas party.  It was a party of epic proportions.  Do not ask me what P.E.O. means.  The women in this club will not tell you.  They just won't.  Papaw always told me it meant "Papa's Evening Out," so we'll go with that.  Anyway, these parties were the fanciest nights of my little life.  Everything had to be perfection.  Gran put up with my antics 99% of the time, but she most emphatically would not have accepted them at the Christmas party.  I never tested that.  I wore my best dress, and I was on my best behavior.  Oh, how I loved to take it all in!  The musicians, the petit fours, the punch!  The best part, though, was watching Gran.  She has always been a wonderful hostess, and I sat at her feet to try to learn this art.  I am far from mastering it, and I remember being totally relieved when Gran arrived at my bridal shower.  I hugged her, kissed her, then started asking questions.  I was more nervous than I thought I would be, and it was a huge comfort to have my teacher at hand.  I hoped to make her proud.  I knew I looked the part because she had taken me to Indianapolis to buy me the outfit I was wearing!  That brings us to the next portion of my education: shopping.
  
     Ah, retail therapy.  Gran and I loved, loved, loved to shop!  When we weren't shopping, we were at home playing "Store" (she even taught me how to use carbon receipts).  To this day, Gran could tell you what is strolling down the catwalk and how you should wear it. Our shopping trips were incredibly fun, but this was yet another avenue for Gran to teach me important lessons.  On the way there (to Indianapolis), she tried desperately to teach me to pay attention to my surroundings and to learn where I was going.  I always admired her independence.  She instilled that in me, but it took awhile.  She would ask me to name the towns as we went through them, but I always had my head in one of the books she had bought me.  It was a bit self-defeating on her part.  She also taught me to talk to Jesus when things got scary.  We drove through some terrible storms talking to Jesus!  Now, I am proud to say, I can get to and around Indianapolis just fine.  I am not afraid to drive in big cities and have done so many times, thanking Gran all the while.  


     One of the best parts of our shopping excursions to the capital was eating at my favorite restaurants.  Sometimes, we would go to places like The Cheesecake Factory or Le Peep.  And we were Krispy Kremes before Krispy Kremes were cool.  Usually, though, my request was for Gray Brothers Cafeteria.  To this day, I love and crave their noodles and mashed potatoes.  I couldn't begin to count the number of times I have eaten noodles in that blessed place, but a lesson from one particular trip stands out.  It was the day I learned about "a la carte."  I guess I was particularly hungry on this trip, because I began grabbing a muffin here, some Jello there, you get the idea.  Gran looked at my tray and basically (quietly) told me that if I ever came to Gray's with someone else's family, I shouldn't pick up everything I saw.  It wasn't all free?  Who knew?!  


     Once we got to the mall, we were two girls on a mission.  Castleton, Keystone, Circle Center, hold onto your hangers!  In the confines of the glorious department stores, Gran taught me to how ask a salesperson for help, to treat people with respect, to always hang up my clothes in the dressing room, and that a girl can never know how something will look until she tries it on!  Beyond that, she taught me to have confidence in a variety of situations.  As an adult, if I find myself somewhere intimidating, I ask myself how Gran would handle it.  Sometimes, as a reminder, I put on the ring she gave me and tell myself to hold my head high.  She taught me how to talk to everyone, and I try to always remember that when I am nervous.


     The culmination of my education must have come in my...education.  Around the time Matt and I got serious in college, Gran developed the mantra, "Education, education, education!" that I wrote about previously. She would chant it to me over the phone, in person, and from the rooftops.  Perhaps she thought I entertained some idea of eloping with Matt and not finishing my degree.  Perhaps she had a premonition that my student teaching experience would be less than ideal.  Whatever the reason was, her battle cry became the running joke of the family.  Seeing Granny's face on my college graduation day was a moment I will never forget.  It meant the world to me to be able to look at her and say, "I did it.  Now stop yelling at me!"


     From this great woman, I have also learned to be thoughtful, send gifts to people who are hurting, and love extravagantly.  Yet when I give her a Christmas gift that makes her laugh and slap her leg and squeal, she says, "Lauren Alice, you should not have done this."  To that I always say, "This is what you taught me to do!"  
     
     She has not the slightest idea of how fabulous she is, even though everyone around her knows the truth.   She is beautiful, funny, intelligent, humble, and full of grace.   She told me a couple weeks ago that she thought I was becoming a grownup (a high and unexpected compliment).  I may very well be a grownup, but in my heart, I will always be her dreaming child.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac