Skip to main content

He Ain't Heavy

     Benjamin David McClure entered my life on May 5th, 1993.  I was just this side of six years old.  When my parents informed me, months earlier, that I was going to have a baby brother, I remember yelling, "Well, we better move that refrigerator!"  If my play kitchen set had to be displaced, so be it.  I was to be a big sister!  In the hospital, I alternated between holding this precious baby (prettiest you ever did see) and barking orders at visitors to wash their hands.  From the very beginning, I was thrilled with my new role, despite asking once (once!) about the ramifications of throwing him in a garbage can.   

In the hospital--his feet were so long!

     
     Over the years, I tried to bestow all the wisdom my little life had to offer.  I have said before that when Ben was born, so was a teacher.  Perhaps the first thing Ben taught me was that I wanted to teach.  Reading was such a tremendous part of our relationship.  I read to him constantly and always thought he was paying attention, although the pictures offer a different view of history.

     Determined to give Ben a proper education, I began home-schooling him during his toddler years.  When he was old enough to scribble, I assigned homework.  As all good brothers should, Ben went along with all of his big sister's schemes.  We had adventures, cases, quests, and epic video game odysseys.  We also learned every word to the scripts of every Jim Carrey movie and, for extra credit, Wayne's World.  As I tried to impart all my sisterly knowledge, a funny thing happened.  I realized he was teaching me.

     The first lesson must have taken place in Walmart.  I apologize to my Schnucks friends for the location of the story, but it cannot be helped now.   On this particular day, we were in the toy aisle.  Ben had asked for a toy, and my mom hesitated.  That would have been my cue at his age to let the crying, yelling, kicking episode commence!  My father has often told me of the times he had to carry me out of Walmart while people looked on as if he were a child abuser or abductor.  Ben, though, was not like me.  He put his little head down, said, "Alright, Mama," and went on with his business.  He didn't even give her the puppy dog eyes.  Have you seen the boy's eyes?  Guess who Mom decided to buy the toy for?  Lesson learned.  
     I no longer scream and kick at Walmart...unless people are in my way.  My temper, however, remains a bit more...easily engaged.  Time and again, I have wished to be more like the boy who simply put his head down for a moment and carried right on with his day.  

Just trying to read my Berenstain Bears!
He wasn't always so calm!  

    
     My brother also fights courageously against the general public's fear of change.  He battles with his seemingly infinite knowledge of technology, his pioneering spirit, his desire for everyone to embrace progress, and his Radio Shack name tag.  

   
     He has a desire for people to learn how to do things for themselves.  He has such patience for working with people who are trying to learn, and I have told him more than once that he was born to teach in some capacity.   No one in my family will be at risk of being an old curmudgeon who refuses to march on with time.  Ben would never let that happen.  This crusader will press on, teaching us how to properly use or repair our smart phones (or dumb phone, in my case), surround sound, gaming systems, computers, treadmills (see facebook picture for details), gadgets and gizmos aplenty. He will fix it for you, sure, but he won't leave until you know how to do it yourself.  
My 21st Birthday-the year I lit my hair on fire with birthday candles
     I love that he has such a heart for this endeavor, and his influence has helped me grow in more than one area of my life. It has helped me, as a teacher, to remember that my ability to fix a situation means nothing in the long run.  Helping children learn how to solve their own problems is what will matter in the future.  He also reminds me not to let my own fear of change stand in the way of...well...everything.  



     The most powerful thing Ben continues to teach me is the importance of letting go.  He chooses to overcome difficult circumstances without allowing himself to be defined by them.  He has humbled me time and again by the way he handles hard times with such grace and strength.  Ultimately, he has shown me that by letting go of past hurts and hindrances, I can hold all the more tightly onto what is truly precious.


     I cannot believe that the baby I held eighteen years ago will be starting college next fall, yet I've always thought that Ben was a forty-five year old man trapped in a child's body.  He has always been an old soul, but he didn't spend four years of high school wishing he was out.  He knew that time would pass quickly, and that it shouldn't be wasted.  He didn't get himself into trouble but never alienated people that did.  He sticks up for the underdogs and stays true to what he believes.  He is twenty years ahead of his time and yet more keenly aware of who he is now than anyone I've ever met.  Whatever path he chooses, I know he will do incredible things.  I will always stand behind him, cheering him on and loving him with my whole heart.  

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac