Skip to main content

You See Me Better Than I Can

      


     Many ideas have come and gone for writing this week.  Overwhelmed with everything, I decided to file some ideas away for later (the precious gift of new friendships, more Family Features, and experiencing the loss of my father-in-law).  I've discarded others (rant on those who tell children giggling in the cafeteria is not allowed because "Someone could get hurt!").  Because I chose to listen to one of my favorite songs, though, I have changed my mind.  
      The song is one my daddy introduced me to about five years ago.  It is Willie Nelson's version of "Till I Can Gain Control Again,"  and it perfectly captures the way I often feel.    


   Just like the sun over the mountaintop,
 You know I'll always come again
You know I love to spend my morning time
Like sunlight dancing on your skin

I have never gone so wrong 
As for telling lies to you
What you've seen is what I've been
There is nothing I can hide from you
You see me better than I can

Out on the road that lies before me now
There are some turns where I will spin
I only hope that you will hold me now
Till I can gain control again

     It brings tears to my eyes almost every time I listen to it, not only because it rings true with me, but because it makes me all the more grateful for the man who holds me and for the God who holds us both.  When Matt and I went through premarital counseling, we heard a lot about how husbands are to love their wives as Christ loves the church.  That did not resound with me as strongly then as it does now, with our second anniversary just over a week away.  I am continually struck by the way Matt loves me and the amount of grace he heaps on me day in and day out, always seeing me "better than I can."  
     On my way to lunch this afternoon I caught part of a sermon on the radio.  The pastor was talking about the importance of loyalty in friendship.  He said that being loyal meant loving without illusions while focusing on a friend's strengths.  That is exactly what Matt does for me.  He shares an intimacy with me that no one else has access to.  He knows everything about me.  He knows where I am weak, but he focuses on my strengths.  He believes in me.  He pushes me.  When the weight of the world settles in on my shoulders, and I begin to spin, he holds me, reminding me that my Heavenly Father is forgiving me and nudging me and inviting me to rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
     
     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac