Skip to main content

Beauty in the Ashes

September 13, 2007


I should really be working on homework. But I haven't written in a long time, and I'm feeling very introspective right now. My life is...wonderful. Literally, full of wonder. I have so many questions right now. Things that I don't understand, issues I cannot resolve. With help from a wiser person, some of the cloudiness has dissipated. I am resting in the arms of my loving Savior this week. God is faithful and patient. He has blessed me beyond measure.




I find myself overwhelmed with the blessings in my life right now. Life is good, and I am truly happy. I have a job that is fulfilling. I love my work, and I love who I work with. To have that in college is no small miracle. I live in a place that is cozy and cheerful and home...and I have a dishwasher! I haven't missed a single class, and I started exercising (and secretly like it). There will be a new baby in my family by September 21st, and I can't wait to kiss his beautiful face and hold his tiny, precious body in my arms. I am filled with anticipation of the joy this new life will bring. I have a church of people that have opened their arms to my family and accepted us so lovingly. The weather is gorgeous. I love the chilly breeze and the blue sky. I wake up and put my feet on the floor every single day. That is so huge to me. Lately, I have been waking up consistently happy. It has been years since I could say that. Waking up, period, and doing so without dread or deep sadness on a regular basis is amazing. Going through darkness makes the light a lot brighter and a lot clearer. I do not take one day of it for granted. Things are not perfect, of course. I still fight battles in my mind that don't get voiced. I still get down, and I still hurt. But the sense of this unfathomable amount of gratitude in my heart humbles me and brings me joy.


I have my incredible family who I appreciate more than ever before. I have friends that pull me up and push me forward. Friends that make me giggle until it hurts. Friends that say, "It's about time." Thank you so much for everything. Thank you for being amazing. 


I have a love that I spent my whole life hoping for. Everything I've gone through, every twist of my journey, every hurt, every mistake that led me to him and to "us" was completely worth it. It is a fantastic adventure. Years ago, watching Practical Magic, I heard something that summed me up so perfectly: "I dream of a love that time itself will lie down and be still for." And that is exactly what I have found. For every surprise, every kiss, every moment I have with him, I am eternally grateful.


I am still trying to accept myself for who I am. Make decisions. Live with them. Forgive myself for not mailing a note six months ago, things like that. Perhaps I am finding a piece of the confidence I once possessed. The unshakable kind. The kind you carry in your heart. I hope so. I am trying to follow my pastor's words by learning to listen to the Shepherd instead of the butcher. I have been so relieved to allow Jesus to pick me up and cradle me once again. I feel strong arms surround me in love as He rocks me back and forth, back and forth...


Then you say, "Go slow,"
I fall behind
The second hand unwinds
If you're lost, you can look
And you will find me
Time after time
If you fall, I will catch you
I will be waiting
Time after time

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t