Skip to main content

A Cockeyed Optimist Christmas

My cousin Rachael and I loving every minute (this was the year we got matching Christmas  sweatshirts with blinking Christmas tree pins on them!)
May I make a confession?  I love Christmas!  I love it as much now-as a cynical, world-wise grown-up- as I did in that picture up there.  I love ev-er-y-thing about it.  Everything!  Materialism and all!  I try to remember all the words in How the Grinch Stole Christmas; I cry when George Bailey kisses Mary and realizes his life is worth something, I love the moment Linus explains the true meaning of Christmas, I love Louie Giglio's amazing teaching about what a screaming baby meant to a world who hadn't heard from God in 400 years and how the news was first delivered to a bunch of smelly shepherds who weren't even allowed to attend church (!); I love to ask kids to close their eyes and imagine the smells of the stable (their faces are priceless); I thoroughly enjoy blasting Christmas tunes (especially Ella's versions) every single day (I feel like a December day without Christmas carols is a day you can never get back); I am downright exhilarated when it comes to finding perfect gifts for my family (and yes, I spend too much on evil, materialistic things); I love putting the tree up with Matt and talking about my favorite ornaments; I thrill at the sight of my Christmas dish towels and Puffs box that perfectly match my reindeer welcome mat (Thanks, Target),  I can't wait to see what the little girls' dresses and sparkly shoes will look like on Sunday mornings; I love to find ways to give to special causes (but I don't think this should be talked about); I love hearing Papaw make fun of Dad for loving clothes; I am absolutely delighted when my gift is the one that makes Gran squeal; I am overcome with joy when I spoil Matt even though "I shouldn't have" because I like to use Christmas gifts as a repayment to him for putting up with me for a whole year; I love playing games with my incredible family all night on Christmas; I LOVE NOODLES!  I just looove Christmas!  Can I get a witness?!

It's okay to be envious of the shag carpet and the t.v.  
I know it can be stressful.  Not everyone shares my enthusiasm for Christmas tunes and t.v. specials.  I get it. Bah humbug, etc.  Eastland Mall is a madhouse, and it makes you want to hurt people.  Actually, my mom and I almost got hit by the kiddie train there just last week.  I know it's materialistic to spend money on things.  I know kids can go crazy because they need everything on every commercial, and it's hard to keep the focus on Jesus.  For those of us who hunt for the most perfect gifts as (one) way to show love, though, is the material stuff such an evil thing?  I have heard so many lectures over the years on this topic.  Maybe I'm way off, here.  But this year I was thinking of the story about the woman who poured her expensive perfume over Jesus's head.  His disciples flip out,, but Jesus tells them she's done a beautiful thing and was preparing Him for His burial.  She was showing her love in an extravagant way.  The disciples try to rebuff her, saying to Jesus that she could have given the money to the poor.  Jesus tells them she will always be remembered for this kindness.
Even though I need to stay within reason and keep giving to those less fortunate, I'm not sure my gift-buying is a terrible thing.  When I think about how God shows such extravagant love to us, I wonder if He's alright with us showing extravagant love to each other in this way.  I know there are other ways, but come on, gift-giving is one of the love languages!  It's too legit to quit.  My heart is so glad when I hear the children tell me we celebrate Christmas because of Jesus.  These kids know Christmas would come, in the words of the late, great, Dr. Seuss, without ribbons, tags, packages, boxes, or bags!  I teach them about the meaning and heartbeat of Christmas.  We learn about Joseph's dream, Mary's willing heart, riding a donkey with a big belly, the smelly shepherds who got the greatest news in history from a heavenly host of angels, the rebellious wisemen, the evil king, and the feeding trough that doubled as a baby bed.  We talk about how Jesus came down to be born because we desperately need a Savior.  We focus on all these things, but I don't scold them for being excited about a new Barbie or a Spiderman Squinkie.  I don't have this all quite figured out yet, but I maintain that Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year!  Did I mention I love it?

Comments

jmcclure said…
Beautifully said. A lesson for us all.
Dawn said…
You made me tear up again! Your enthusiasm has made the season more joyful for the whole family. I love this blog. Keep writing!

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac