Skip to main content

Cardboard and Wayne's World

Growing up, my baby brother and I had a habit of speaking to each other only in quotes from funny movies.  I'm could not hazard a guess as to how many times we watched certain timeless classics-movies that made an impact on the world-Ace Ventura (1 and 2), Dumb and Dumber, Wayne's World...you get the picture.  And so, as I begin this blog, I think it only fitting to say, "Stop torturing yourself, man...live in the noow!"  What does this blog have to do with trying to talk Wayne Campell out of buying a Stratocaster?  Nothing.  I just happen to be a girl who has never been able to live in the now. 
I am learning to release the chains of the past and the shackles of the what ifs of the future.  I am learning to rest in the One who holds tomorrow.  This year has been a time of extreme growth for me.  The leap into children's ministry has taught me precious and innumerable lessons about the heart of the Father.  He continues to show me He is infinitely capable.  He is enough.  Today I read some things I'd written a few years back.  One of the posts was about my struggles and how much I wanted those to be used for good.  Here it is: Acronyms 2009
I wanted God to give me opportunities to help others with these problems and knock the stigma off of them (the problems, not the people).  That is still my prayer, but I think it is neat that two years later, I draped cardboard around my neck for this very purpose, after accepting His call just as I was.  Who would have thought?







I'm hoping God will use my past, insecurities, and, yes, acronyms for such a time as this:the noow!

Comments

jmcclure said…
Beautifully said, my daughter.

Popular posts from this blog

On Motherhood and Grace and Doughnuts for Dinner

     It's been a banner week for me as a mom. I've probably made 15,485 mistakes, conservatively.  I was doing pretty well today until the sun went down (you know, around noon, because I live in Evansville). I had a headache from the seventh circle of Hell, and I was driving up Green River Road with a screaming banshee in the back seat. Because I have a Bachelor's degree in Early Childhood Education, I employed the tried-and-true technique of yelling, "STOP SCREAMING!" at my sweet baby. Powerful stuff. Very effective. I was fairly flustered by the time I got to Schnucks. I wanted to get a couple things for dinner tomorrow but mostly needed ice for my raging Coke Zero habit.  Matt is out of town till tomorrow evening, so I knew he couldn't bail me out. After embarrassing myself a little in the parking lot - how was I to know  all three  cars around me were occupied? -  I carried Jack in with no car seat and no cart cover. I grabbed a cart wipe, but I decided I

Under My Feet

Last night, Elsie and I met four of my girlfriends for dinner and shopping on Franklin. Somewhere between the server thinking we were at least a decade older than we actually are and our second basket of bread, the topic of the decade picture came up. My mind wandered back to where I was at this time in 2009, and I told them I really wouldn't want to post a picture. In 2009, I was heavy. Physically, mentally...heavy. One month to go but not sure I'd make it out with a degree, panic attacks and sleeping too much and losing my temper and sobbing and zero confidence after being torn down even more...heavy. I was engaged to the love of my life who I'd marry a few months later, but what I tend to remember are the shame and pain and guilt from that time and that situation. I remember the way the symptoms of ADHD and major depression and anxiety all came together in the worst way at a time I needed to be my best. I remember the pain of the criticism. The times spent huddled in t

My Father, the Hero

Love at first sight!      You, reader, have never (ev-er) met someone who loves home videos more than me.  Never.  Ask my mom, dad, brother, husband, anyone-they will tell you no one could gleefully sit through hours upon hours of home video footage without tiring of it like I can (and do).  Blame it on my childhood aspirations of fame.  One of my favorite scenes is from my very first starring role (see above still shot from the set of Good Samaritan Hospital).  On the day I was born, my daddy began to hug me, kiss me, praise me, and love me.     Beach Party                        I don't believe anyone understands my father better than I do because there there is no one more like my father than I am.  We have a very unique bond because of the quirks and interests we share and the way we both view the world.  Be it through our disdain for grammatical errors or our mutual love of classic cinema, Bogie, jazz standards, old country, vintage signs, vac